Hillside Work-Scholarship Connection
HW-SC of Syracuse helps youth stay in school, earn their high school diplomas and prepare for secondary education or employment. Students enter the program in fifth through ninth grade. School-based youth advocates provide 360 degree support to help students develop good habits, acquire social skills, and achieve their potential to become contributing, responsible young people at home, in school and at work.
High Schools Approximately 1,000 students are enrolled in:
- Corcoran High School, 919 Gleenwood Ave, Syracuse NY, 13207
- Fowler High School, 227 Magnolia, Syracuse NY 13204
- Henninger High School, 600 Robinson, Syracuse NY 13206
- Institute of Technology at Central, 258 East Adams St, Syracuse, NY 13202
- Nottingham High School, 3100 E Genesee St, Syracuse NY 13224
- Rome Free Academy
- West Side Academy
- Middle School Alternative Program
What we have accomplished
66% of Syracuse Public School students graduate high school.
- 98% of HW-SC’s students who stick with our program graduate from high school.
- 92% of students were promoted to the next grade level.
- 95% of our Students employed with job partners graduate from high school.
Regional Employment Partners
We are proud to collaborate with the following partners to link HW-SC students with individualized resources and experiences they need to be successful:
- Carrols’ Corporation
- Kinney Drugs
- Panera Bread Company
- The Perfect Granola
- Rome Memorial Hospital
- Rosamond Gifford Zoo
- SKY Armory
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Upstate Medical
HW-SC Regional Executive Director
- Wayne O’Connor (315) 558-6107
Regional Advisory Board
- Shari Constantine (Chair), Sr. Vice President, Syracuse Division, Wegmans Food Markets
- Jaime Alicea, Superintendent, Syracuse City School District
- Evelyn Carter, Division Consumer Affairs Manager, Wegmans Food Markets
- Nathan Franz, Executive Director/Office of Teaching & Learning, Syracuse City School District
- Susan LaVallee, Senior Vice President, AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company
- Robert Linn, (retired), Ernst & Young
- Vincent Love, President, 100 Black Men of Syracuse
- Tim McDevitt, Vice President, Commercial Banking, M&T Bank
- Lisa Mondello, Director, Corporate Communications and PR, SRC, Inc.
- Tim Penix, Vice President, SUNY Syracuse Educational Opportunity Center
- Meg Sherman, Executive Recruiter, Top Hire Recruitment, LLC
- Jonathan Stadin, Executive Recruiter, JR Stadin, LLC.
- Mark Vazquez, Project Director, Liberty Partnerships Program, Onondaga Community College
- Mark N. Wladis, President, Wladis Law Firm
- Carrie Wojtaszek, General Manager, Galaxy Events
For more information about the Syracuse Work Scholarship Connection program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, (315) 558-6108.
You can make a gift and change the future for youth in your community.