Hillside Work-Scholarship Connection“Without education you are not going anywhere in this world” – Malcolm X.
For over 30 years, Hillside Work-Scholarship Connection (HW-SC) has helped students overcome the barriers that cause them to drop out and abandon their education. We change the norm for students and families living in generational poverty by giving them necessary guidance and the tools to be successful in school – expanding their access to post secondary education, technical training and employment opportunities.“Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom” – George Washington Carver.
- Nearly 4,000 students in grades 7 through 12 are in the program in Syracuse, Rochester, and Prince George’s County Maryland.
- 100% are at risk of dropping out of high school.
- 97% are at a low socioeconomic level.
What We Do
Professional youth advocates, part-time jobs, new life skills and community investments are at the core of our proven model. Graduation is just the beginning. We are serious about lifelong success that expands to home, school, work and community.
Where We Are
Serving Students in:
- Rochester City School District
- Gates Chili Central School District
Serving students in:
- Syracuse City School District
- Rome City School District
- Binghamton City School District
- Union Endicott School District
Greater Washington Region
Serving students in:
- Prince George's County Public Schools (MD)
- Fast Facts
- 93% of HW-SC students who stick with our program graduate from high school
- 96% of our students employed with job partners graduate from high school
- College and Career
- HW-SC prepares students for entry into the workforce, exposes students to career opportunities, gives them earnings to apply toward college tuition; giving them a pathway out of poverty.
- For each $3,500 investment that we make in a youth, an employed graduate saves the community $22,500 in social services. What’s more, these students are investing their annual earnings of $6,250 back into our communities
- Nearly 500 HW-SC students are employed in part-time year-round jobs. These students are generating over $3 million dollars in their communities annually
- Since the program’s inception, over 5,000 young people have graduated from our urban high schools and become productive citizens in the communities
- There are currently over 4,000 students in the program today in New York and Maryland
- Get a copy of our Outcomes Report
- See a Benefit-Cost Ratio Analysis conducted by the University of Rochester
Awards and Recognition
Hillside Work-‐Scholarship Connection has earned national recognition as a leading solution to the dropout crisis, delivering consistent, measurable results for school districts and their students in the areas of high school graduation, college and career readiness, and employment.
Hillside Work-Scholarship Connection is fortunate to have an abundance of employment partners in the community that are dedicated to the success our students.