Hillside Work-Scholarship Connection
Hillside Work-Scholarship Connection is building stronger communities by helping high school students succeed.
Understanding the impact of our services in the community allows Hillside to refine and improve our work. Hillside’s annual Outcomes Reports explore the key metrics by which we can measure the effectiveness of our programs among the youth, adults and families with whom we partner.
- 93% of HW-SC students who stick with our program graduate from high school
- 96% of our students employed with job partners graduate from high school
HW-SC prepares students for entry into the workforce, exposes students to career opportunities, gives them earnings to apply toward college tuition; giving them a pathway out of poverty.
- Businesses hiring these talented workers save thousands of dollars in costs they would otherwise pay to recruit, train and promote new employees.
- For each $3,500 investment that we make in a youth, an employed graduate saves the community $22,500 in social services. What’s more, these students are investing their annual earnings of $6,250 back into our communities.
- Nearly 500 HW-SC students are employed in part-time year-round jobs. These students are generating over $3 million dollars in their communities annually
- Since the program’s inception, over 5,000 young people have graduated from our urban high schools and have become productive citizens in the communities where they live and work today.
- Of the students who stay in the program, 93% graduate high school.
- Many of the students work during high school with our employment partners. As a matter of fact, those students who work with our employment partners graduate at the rate of 96%
- There are currently over 4,000 students in the program today in New York and Maryland
“It seems like I’ve been waiting my whole life to become a nurse. It’s going to be a little bit of a struggle, but I can get through it because of the techniques that I was taught at Hillside. I know how to overcome the obstacles, the challenges” Candice, HW-SC graduate
Get a copy of our 2019-2020 Outcomes Report
Get a copy of our 2018-2019 Outcomes Report
Get a copy of our 2017-2018 Outcomes Report
Get a copy of our 2016-2017 Outcomes Report
Get a copy of our 2015-2016 Outcomes Report
Get a copy of our 2014-2015 Outcomes Report
Get a copy of our 2013-2014 Outcomes Report
The Catalogue for Philanthropy recognizes HW-SC in Prince George's County as one of the best high-impact community-based nonprofits in the Greater Washington Area.