Hillside Work-Scholarship Connection
Hillside Work-Scholarship Connection is building stronger communities by helping high school students succeed.
- 93%of HW-SC students who stick with our program graduate from high school
- 96% of our students employed with job partners graduate from high school
HW-SC prepares students for entry into the workforce, exposes students to career opportunities, gives them earnings to apply toward college tuition; giving them a pathway out of poverty.
- Businesses hiring these talented workers save thousands of dollars in costs they would otherwise pay to recruit, train and promote new employees.
- For each $3,500 investment that we make in a youth, an employed graduate saves the community $22,500 in social services. What’s more, these students are investing their annual earnings of $6,250 back into our communities.
- Nearly 500 HW-SC students are employed in part-time year-round jobs. These students are generating over $3 million dollars in their communities annually
- Since the program’s inception, over 5,000 young people have graduated from our urban high schools and have become productive citizens in the communities where they live and work today.
- Of the students who stay in the program, 93% graduate high school.
- Many of the students work during high school with our employment partners. As a matter of fact, those students who work with our employment partners graduate at the rate of 96%
- There are currently over 4,000 students in the program today in New York and Maryland
“It seems like I’ve been waiting my whole life to become a nurse. It’s going to be a little bit of a struggle, but I can get through it because of the techniques that I was taught at Hillside. I know how to overcome the obstacles, the challenges” Candice, HW-SC graduate
You can make a gift and change the future for youth in your community.
The Catalogue for Philanthropy recognizes HW-SC in Prince George's County as one of the best high-impact community-based nonprofits in the Greater Washington Area.